The Department presently runs programmes that lead the award of B.Sc. Fisheries, Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in
Aquaculture and Fisheries Biology & Management, Masters of Science (M.Sc.) in Aquatic Ecology, Aquaculture and
Fisheries Biology & Management, Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Degrees in
Fisheries Biology and management and Aquaculture.
This Department will award a B.Sc. degree in fisheries and Aquatic Environment Management with the following
• Aquatic environment
Facilities accessible to the department are:
• Out –door research Facilities
• Fish farm Complex
• Motorized Boat
• Fishing Gear
• Institute of Pollution Studies ‘ Laboratory
• African Aquacultural centre at Aluu and Buguma.
The emergence of sustainable development as a major global policy thrust has made it imperative for nations to
re-design their education curricula to address the underlying problems of their populace. Key issues such as
management and conservation of aquatic resources have currently become topical.
The Rivers State University of Science and Technology is located in Niger delta, where the people depend largely
on the aquatic resources for their sustenance. The Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Environment Management
therefore was conceptualized to provide and develop a sound understanding of environmental and natural aquatic
The philosophical underpinning is that, with a training that emphasizes holistic understanding of the
interdisciplinary complexities underlying Fisheries and aquatic Environment Management, sustainable exploitation
and development of our natural resource would be guaranteed.
The Department is thus, being re-positioned to provide a very high standard of training for fisheries and
environmental scientists who are expected to be leaders in their fields nationally and internationally. It is
needed to grapple with the problems and sensitivities of the Niger Delta and other aquatic or riverine
The objectives of the Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Environment Management are to;
1. Provide professionals equipped with multi-disciplinary perspective in dealing with fisheries and aquatic
2. Provide appropriate manpower equipped to established and run profitably, fisheries and aquaculture
3. Promote efficient fish production and sustainable exploitation of natural aquatic resources.
4. Promote fish production and productivity by artisanal fishers/ fish farmers in order to boost fisheries and
rural developmental programmes.
5. Promote ecological development, ie. a developmental programme under a carefully managed environment.
6. Promote the exploitation and exploration of the continental shelf of the West African sub-region.
Graduates of Fisheries and Aquatic Environment Management will find employment opportunities in the following
Civil service as;
(a) Fisheries Officers
(b) Environmental Officers in Federal and State Ministries of Environments.
– as Research Officers in establishments such as; Nigerian Institute for
Oceanography & Marine Research (NIOMR), National Institute for Freshwater Fisheries Research (NIFFR), etc.
1. Lecturers in universities, Monotechnics and Polytechnics,
2. Aquacultural Enterprises.
3. Oil and Non- Oil industries as Environmental Experts/ Advisers.
4. Fishing Industries and Fish Marketing Enterprises.
5. Food Processing Induatries.
Duration of Programme
The normal duration of B.Sc. Fisheries programme is a minimum of five sessions (10 semesters) comprising
tutorials, lectures, practicals, and supervised industrial work experience scheme (SIWES) in the 4th year of
(a) J.M.E. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS (YEAR 1)
(b) SC GCE ‘0’ Level/ SSSC with credit passes in 5 appropriate subjects
Including English Language and Mathematics obtained in not more
More than two (2) sittings; in some cases a pass in either English
Language or Mathematics may be acceptable.