The Management Programme has been the pillar of the former Department of Business Administration. It shared
accommodation in that department with the Marketing and Banking and Finance Programmes at one time and later
with Marketing and Mass Communication Programmes.
The Department of Business Administration itself came into being with the establishment of the College of
Science and Technology, the fore-runner of the Rivers State University of science and Technology in 1980.
The Management Programme has made a strong impact in the Faculty of Management Sciences, in the University as a
whole, and in the business environment, as it has graduated many able technocrats and produced many who are
presently in academia and politics. It has also produced six Professors and many Ph.D holders in the field who
are incontestable international scholars. The University has for long recognized the need to have a full fledged
Department of Management.
This expected hope became a reality from the 2002-2004 Academic session.
In line with the national policy on education, which, among other things, emphasizes scientific approach to
management, the management programme is designed to equip our graduates with the relevant management theories,
practices, knowledge, abilities and skills that will prepare them for meeting up with the challenges and
opportunities inherent in the management of all kinds and sizes of organizations in any part of the world.
The main objective of the Management Programme is to educate and train men and Women who will serve the
management development needs of Nigeria in both the public and private sectors of the economy. This is because,
the purpose of different enterprises may vary, but all that are organized do rely on effective group operation
for efficient attainment of whatever goals they may have.
In this direction, the programme is geared towards giving students broad based education in the functional areas
of business. The programme is also designed to deliver to students a good understanding of the fundamentals of
formal organization and how they are managed.
The programme’s specific objectives therefore are as follows:
1. To produce graduates that are well trained to manage profit and nonprofit organization.
2. To provide the technical knowledge necessary for management development.
3. To propagate the development of management thought.
4. To produce Graduate Assistants who will assist in the teaching of Management courses in institutions of
i) UNIVERSITY REQUIREMENTS
1. Candidates must pass the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) examination and have a minimum of
credit level pass in five subjects at WASC/GCE ordinary level. These passes which must include English Language
and Mathematics must be in not more than two sittings.
2. Equivalent qualification obtained from recognized institutions in Nigeria or elsewhere may be considered by
the admission committee.
3. Candidates who have obtained passes in relevant degree level courses in other recognized institution may be
4. Candidates should also pass the Post UME Screening Test.
ii) FACULTY REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the University requirements, a student seeking admission into any programme in the Faculty of
Management Sciences must have a credit pass in Economics
iii) DIRECT ENTRY
The department has provisions for direct entry admission to 2 and 3 year degree programmes as follows;
1. 2-Year Programme for Candidates holding HND in either Banking and Finance, Marketing, Business Administration
or Accounting with a minimum pass level of Lower Credit.
2. 3-Year Programme for Candidates holding OND in either Banking, Business Administration, or Accounting with a
minimum of Upper Credit level pass.